In honor of Valentine’s Day coming up, we wanted to get this romantic destination on your radar as lovers are looking for the perfect escape to take their significant others, but might not want to travel too far — which is why this open-air domestic destination is the perfect place for love birds to flock too.
Amid canopy trees and picturesque natural backdrops — adorned with charming parks and stunning color accents provided by dogwoods, azaleas, red buds, camellias and other native varieties — Tallahassee, Fla. awaits romantic exploration. We’ve compiled a list of lovey-dovey spots throughout the city where you can take your partner for a dreamy date or plan a weekend itinerary.
- Maclay Gardens Reflection Pool and Walled Garden
- A masterpiece of floral architecture, Maclay Gardens has an incredible amount of quiet, vistas to wander through when looking for a romantic outdoor date spot. The options include a picturesque brick walkway that meanders around the lake, a secret garden, reflection pool, an enclosed and circular walled garden all adorned amongst century-old live oaks and hundreds of camellias and azaleas.
- Railroad Square Art District
- For crafty couples, the Railroad Square provides the perfect artsy area for a creative date. Located in the historic warehouse district and now home to 50 local art studios, galleries and small businesses — partners can stroll through galleries and listen to live music.
- Live Oak at Lichgate Cottage
- Lichgate Cottage makes the list for the most eclectic, outdoor location — perfect for a picnic style date. Built by FSU English professor, Laura Jepsen and named for the gates of medieval England, it’s reminiscent of the fairytale cottages of childhood stories. The grounds include butterfly, perennial and daffodil gardens, a labyrinth and a magnificent Live Oak tree dating back to the days of Shakespeare – major Romeo & Juilet vibes!
- The Capitol Museum
- For the political minded romantic, the front steps of Florida’s Historic Capitol building offer the perfect location to explore with your significant other. Surrounded by seasonal flowers, the building is restored to its 1902 grandeur with colorful red, candy-striped awnings — the perfect backdrop to write your own history with your lover.