Wekiva Island’s Winter Wonderland Brings Holiday Spirit, Snow to Central Florida
Annual event runs Nov. 29 through Jan. 1
Lights will glitter. People will be bustling about for the perfect gift. Tidings of cheer will ring through the air. Central Florida will soon be wrapped up in the holiday spirit, but one thing will likely be missing.
Not at Wekiva Island. The Island will truly deliver on all elements of the holiday season with its Winter Wonderland celebration from November 29 to January 1. The anticipated annual event, in its fourth year, includes a real snow slide and snow flurries daily, visits from Santa and other beloved holiday characters, fun special events and thousands of holiday lights.
“This event has grown from a simple boat parade into a holiday tradition people really look forward to,” said Carrie Vanderhoef, manager. “We’re happy we can be part of making it truly feel like the holidays for people in Central Florida, and we’re honored to be part of their memories of the season.”
In addition to daily snow flurries and access to the real snow slide, weekends at Winter Wonderland are full of activities. Santa and Mrs. Claus will visit every Friday, Saturday and Sunday until Christmas, and guests can also take boat “sleigh” rides down the river. Special characters, including The Grinch and Buddy the Elf, as well as holiday stilt walkers and face painters will also make appearances on select Saturdays and Sundays. Finally, there will be a free outdoor holiday movie on select Saturdays.
Guests can also decorate ornaments on Monday nights and enjoy sip and shop events throughout the season. Wekiva Island even offers free gift wrapping on ALL gifts, allowing guests to grab a drink and relax while they wait.
Additionally, Winter Wonderland features several special events:
- Corona Holiday Mariachi Band & Ugly Sweater Party—Don your ugliest holiday sweater and celebrate the holidays south of the border with a mariachi band playing your favorite holiday songs. 4 to 6 p.m. Dec. 6, free.
- Breakfast with Santa—Bring the entire family out to the Island for a chance to meet the main man himself, and enjoy a delicious, satisfying breakfast. 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 15, $12.95 for adults, $7.95 for children 10 and younger.
- Reindeer feed kit workshop—Create a special reindeer feed kit, with Santa as your helper. Complimentary hot cocoa and popcorn will be served. 6 to 8 p.m. Dec. 18, $10/kit.
- VIP Winter Wonderland Party—Join the Island’s holiday party on Dec. 21, when the Island will only be open to ticketholders. Enjoy beer and wine, gourmet food, live music and more, benefitting the CARE Foundation. 7 to 11 p.m. Dec. 21, $50 for singles, $90 for couples and $20 for children 10 and younger.
- New Year’s Day Brunch—Start your 2020 off the right way. Enjoy a delicious selection of brunch items with river views. 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Jan. 1, $13.95 for adults, $8.95 for children 10 and younger.
As a way to give back, Wekiva Island will also be filling canoes with toys to donate to Toys for Tots.
Winter Wonderland is free and open to the public. Tickets for the snow slide are $10 for unlimited rides on the weekends and $7 for unlimited rides during the week.
A full calendar of daily events is available here.
About Wekiva Island
Located on the beautiful Wekiva River, Wekiva Island offers visitors the chance to experience the real Florida. The natural attraction features more than 2,000 square feet of entertainment along the riverfront, including activities from canoeing, kayaking and paddle boarding to volleyball and cornhole. Wekiva Island hosts regular monthly events. The Tooting Otter bar offers a selection of craft beer and wine, and Without a Paddle Café serves up a full menu, including for special events. Guests can also purchase gifts or souvenirs at the General Store. Meeting space, events space and private cabana rentals are available. Sustainability and a passion for the environment is at the heart of Wekiva Island’s mission. Wekiva Island is located at 1014 Miami Springs Drive in Longwood, Florida. For more information, visit wekivaisland.com or call 407-862-1500.